Sunday, September 03, 2006

Voicemail

I actually like getting voicemail, it always makes me feel like someone cares about me, but this last voicemail that I received was not a favorite of mine. It was about a quarter after nine, and I just arrived at my parents house. Joby and I were planning on going to Packwood the next morning to the swap meet that happens every year. My parents had my new phone for me (that is another story) and when I opened it, it said, "New Voicemail." I was like, "Sweet!" But I felt totally the opposite when I heard what the message was. It was Joby, and his brother Elisha had just been in a boating accident involving the propeller. He was rushed to St. Peters Hospital in Olympia and at the time of the message, he was in surgery. My heart felt like it had leaped out of my chest and the chill that ran up my spine is something that I will never forget. My parents new that look that I gave after hearing the voicemail on my phone, a look that they don't see too often. I quickly tried to call Joby on his phone... no answer. I tried again... still no answer! "He must get no service in the hospital," I assumed. Then my parents suggested that I try their house... why didn't I think of that... I don't know. After calling the house and talking to Liddy, Joby's sister, I found out that Elisha was OK. That was the biggest reliever ever! All I could think of at that moment was, God is AWESOME! The propeller did however end up cutting his thigh to the extent that he will have to probably be on crutches for about 6 weeks. By the grace of God, the only other thing he got was some scrapes and bruises on his stomach. I later ended up going to the Hospital that night. It was good to see a smile on Elisha's face and knowing that he is going to be just fine. I had brought him some movies and he asked me if any of the special features involved a man getting caught by a propeller of a boat and dying? I said, "No, of course not." "Good, cause that is kind of a soft spot in my life," he said with a smile. I laughed. It was nice to know that even after this crazy day, Elisha still had his sense of humor. This proves that God is absolutely amazing. The doctors said that the cut on his leg couldn't have happened in a better place. I just want to say, "Thank you God for taking care of my friend." The bad thing that came out of this though, is I will be expecting the worse now when it comes to listening to my voicemail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home